Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. It’s a time for family and friends to come together and enjoy a great meal and make great memories together. Many families and individuals will be following The Metabolism Miracle this holiday season….and since this particular holiday is ALL about the food, I wanted to give my Met B’s some guidance and options for this special holiday.
The Metabolism Miracle has 3 Steps;
Step 1 = 8 weeks or more. Step 1 allows your overworking pancreas and liver to finally rest, relax, and rehab. During Step 1, your excess insulin production will decrease and normalize, …you will burn excess fat in the blood (cholesterol and triglycerides) and liver, and on your body (belly fat, muffin top). You will have so much more energy, focus, and a sense of peace and control.
If you are on Step 1 of The Metabolism Miracle on Thanksgiving, you have options!…
Option 1: You can consider your Thanksgiving meal as a “celebratory” meal. “Special dispensation” is given (smiling) for the 5 hour block that contains your feast…Just remember to keep the food fest contained in one five hour block. Follow Step 1 from wake up until Thanksgiving dinner, enjoy the Thanksgiving feast, then pick up where you left off on Step 1. If your Thanksgiving meal begins at 4pm… make to have a bedtime snack because your bedtime will most likely be after 9pm. Skipping a needed snack or meal (within 5 hours) does not make up for over-eating. Just pick up Step 1 at the next meal or snack time And the beat goes on………..
WARNING: The carb overload at Thanksgiving will have a definite impact on the way you feel afterward. On Step 1, your pancreas is “on vacation”…and adding all of these extra carbs is like throwing ice cubes on a sunbather….YEOW…. After the meal and for the next few days, you might experience a dull headache, nausea, increased cravings, feel a bit more tired, and a tad more irritable than normal (laughing here….is that the carbs or all the holiday family time and togetherness????).
Option 2: If you choose to stay true blue and not cut loose with the Thanksgiving meal… it’s quite possible and not too difficult to stay on Step 1:
- Have a salad of assorted greens, cherry tomatoes, cheeses, olives, nuts, and dressing.
- Enjoy all of the turkey you want with some gravy (many jarred gravies fit on Step 1)
- Try green beans sautéed in olive oil with, garlic, salt and pepper. Tops with slivered almonds.
- Have a heaping helping of Cauliflower Mashed potatoes (recipe in book)
- Sip a Diet Cranberry Spritzer : (Use Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Juice and a splash of diet lemon/lime soda…garnish with a lime wedge) or
- Savor a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio or a Lite beer
- Cranberry sauce? Have ¼ cup of fresh low carb cranberry sauce :
-12 ounces fresh cranberries
– 1 cup water
-1 cup Splenda or Stevia .
Bring water and sweetener to a gentle boil. Add in the cranberries. Cook uncovered until cranberries pop…about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, replace pot cover and let cool.. Refrigerate.
- For dessert, indulge in Pumpkin Ricotta Crème (Mix ½ cup part-skim ricotta, 1 Tbls low fat sour cream, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, 2 Tbls canned pumpkin, 1 packed Splenda together…chill…and top with whipped cream to serve)
If you are on Step 2 for Thanksgiving….You also have options!
You can choose to use the Thanksgiving 5 hour block as a “celebration” meal. Your entire day would follow Step 2 rules, but you would insert Thanksgiving in a 5 hour block. When you’re done with your Thanksgiving meal, make sure you have an 11-20g option within 5 hours, and so on. If you do not want to stray, here are some options for you:
- Have all of the turkey that you would like (since this is neutral) and gravy.
- Try green beans sautéed in olive oil with slivered almonds, garlic, salt and pepper
- Have a generous helping of cauliflower mashed potatoes on your plate
- Sip on your favorite “neutral” beverage of choice, like the Diet Cranberry Spritzer, wine, or lite beer
- Pick any of the following asyour11-20g option during the meal:
- ½ sweet potato with butter and lite sour cream
- ½ cup mashed sweet potatoes topped with cinnamon and Splenda
- ½ ear of corn on the cob
- ½ c steamed corn nibblets
- 1/3 c stuffing made with whole wheat bread
- 1/8 slice pumpkin pie (sans crust)
- ½ cup ice cream
- ½ cup whipped potatoes
For dessert, enjoy this “nutty” twist on low-carb cheesecake: (Take 1 cup of Emeralds Cocoa Roast Almonds or Cinnamon Roast Almonds… finely chop in a food processor and top the low carb cheesecake made as directed in The Metabolism Miracle)
If you are on Step 3 of The Metabolism Miracle on Thanksgiving, you have options!…
Option 1: Treat Thanksgiving as a “celebration meal”…enjoy and return to maintenance for the meal/snack afterward.
Option 2 : depending on the number of carbs you are allowed based on your own personal maintenance carb amount, choose the appropriate number of options for this meal. For example, if you are allowed (3) 11-20g items..your meal may look like:
- Turkey with gravy
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes
- 1/3 c stuffing ( 1 carb)
- ½ ear of corn (1 carb)
- Green beans sautéed in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic
- Warm baked apple cinnamon/butter and whipped cream (1 carb)
- Glass of wine or lite beer or diet cranberry drink from above
Remember…. The Metabolism Miracle is a LIFESTYLE. The most important part of your holiday is that you are comfortable, happy, and you enjoy the day and the people you are with. You pick the option that best fits your life, and then continue on your journey to success! I wish you all a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! xo Diane
Love Diane Kress’ work? Here are links to her books and support site!
The Metabolism Miracle Cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/The-Metabolism-Miracle-Cookbook-Delicious/dp/0738214256/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DC5FY8CN1D1YH85YNM
The Interactive Support Group for Followers of The Metabolism Miracle and The Diabetes Miracle: www.Miracle-Ville.com
Coming in May, 2016: The Metabolism Miracle, Second Edition!