Readers and patients are always asking me to keep an eye out for new products that are flavorful and fit into Step 1 and 2 of the program. With so much deceiving packaging in the grocery store (the FDA only regulates the Nutrition labels on food and beverage packaging), I take it upon myself to weed out the “real” products that fit the program, and the imposters.
On a recent trip to the store, I noted that Kellogg’s has a new line of products out under the label “Fiber Plus”. These products are tasty, easy to find, and easy to add in to your Step 2 or Maintenance lifestyle. Being that they are higher in fiber content, it makes them a perfect choice to use as your 11-20g items.
Craving waffles with your morning egg whites? Look no further than Eggo Fiber Plus Buttermilk Waffles. And get this…. 2 waffles=20g carb! Enjoy with a lite butter spread and top with Walden Farms Calorie Free Pancake Syrup (neutral) for a perfect way to round out your Step 2 or maintenance breakfast. Also great to use as a night time snack! Examples of Step 2 meals including this product:
- Egg white omelet with peppers, onions, cheddar cheese and (2) Eggo Fiber Plus Buttermilk Waffles with lite butter and Walden Farms syrup
2. 1 EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Shake and (2) Eggo Fiber Plus Buttermilk Waffles topped with lite whipped cream
Always on the go? Looking for a product that can be thrown in your backpack, purse, or laptop bag… or to keep a supply in your car “just in case”? Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Bars come in 4 very yummy flavors: Caramel Coconut Fudge, Chocolate Chip, Dark Chocolate Almond, and Chocolatey Peanut Butter. These bars are a treat… it’s more like eating a candy bar than a “healthy” bar. They make a perfect snack while on Step 2 or Maintenance if meals are greater than 5 hours apart, or make a perfect 11-20g addition to any meal (or a dessert!). Examples of Step 2 meals including this product:
- Grilled chicken breast drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette with a side of broccoli and (1)Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Bar
2. Tuna salad in lettuce wraps with a string cheese and (1)Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Bar
And lastly, for all of you cereal lovers out there, Kellogg’s has a product for you, too. Named Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Antioxidants Cereal: Cinnamon Oat Crunch…this cereal is packed full of flavor. ¾ of a cup makes an 11-20g serving (when mixed with unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened almond milk). This can also be eaten dry, and makes a great “on the go snack”. Just put ¾ cup in a baggie and bring it with you for a sweet, crunchy treat! Examples of meals including Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Antioxidants Cereal: Cinnamon Oat Crunch:
- 2 hard boiled eggs (1 yolk) and 3/4 c Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Antioxidants Cereal: Cinnamon Oat Crunch with desired amount of unsweetened soy or almond milk topped with handful of Emerald’s Cinnamon Roast Almonds
2. Low fat cottage cheese and ¾ c Kellogg’s Fiber Plus Antioxidants Cereal: Cinnamon Oat Crunch with desired amount of unsweetened soy or almond milk